Friday, August 10, 2012

July 21, 2012
 
This week has been nuts so far! Thursday might have been the longest day of my whole life. Wednesday, we had some getting-to-know-you time with my District (12A), and then we went to class where our teacher, Hermano Smoot, used maybe 3 English words. It was a little much at first, but I've come to enjoy the learning by immersion program. We speak very little English in class, and yesterday my companion and I taught two leassons to "investiagtors." We were only supposed to teach one of them, but the admins kind of messed up our schedules and has us teach both. Oh well! It was all good practice. The Spirit is so insanely strong on campus here, it's hard to believe it at times.
 
My companion is Elder Morris of San Diego/Lehi, UT. He's a great fella. He's a big guy, like me, and his name is Ben, too! How crazy is that?! Anyway, we've been getting along really well, and I hope it lasts like that. For now, I'm the Senior Companion, and that's proven to be basically meaningless in our relation with one another, I just get to lead our inventory meetings and planning sessions. My District is soooo great!! We're comprised of now 7 Elders and one Hermana. Elder Van Woerkom (a mouthful, at first) and Elder Arroyo (fun little guy) are comps going to the OK Tulsa Mission, Elder Webb (District Leader and friend of Elder Doughty) and Elder Duncan (math/finance wiz) are going to the WA Kennouic (no clue how to spell that) Mission, Hermana Johnson is the only other person I've met going to the CFM, and Elder Morris is heading to the Mississippi Jackson Mission. We just got a new Elder last night, his name's Elder Rowley (pronounced ROH-LEE, he hates it when people mispronounce his name). He's going to the Houston South Mission, like my boy Elder Case.
 
My Prep Day is on Fridays, but today, we have a little half-Pday thing where we can do laundry, but we don't have laundry time until 8:40 so we had lots of time on hand between breakfast and then so we decided to e-mail. I'm stoked for P-Day though, they sound so fun!! I was told I can even take a nap if I want to on P-Day which sounds sooooooo good right now. I've been sleeping well, but I'm still tired most of the day. Gym time everyday is so nice. I love being able to get my blood pumping and do something fun outside or in the gym instead of just sitting like 90% of my day.
 
My Spanish is coming along swimmingly, I'd say. It's still difficult for me to remember some of the tenses and forms, but I'll get it. I'm just trying to give myself as much credit as possible and be really easy on myself because, you know, it's hard. It's hard to learn a language you don't spek everyday, but I know with the Lord's help, all things are possible. So, I'm just taking the Spanish one day at a time, trying to get closer to fluent and speaking as much Spanish outside the class with my friends and District as I can. I also had to write a talk for sacrament meeting on repentance, and it's pretty much as if a 12 year old wrote it, so I hope I'm not called upon to speak, but it's pretty dece.
 
I've seen literally 1,000,000 people that I know here. I stop probably 6 or 7 times whenever I go anywhere because I run into people from my ward, from byu summer, from home, you name it. I also have an astounding amount of connections through these people to total strangers. I'll always ask people where they're from, and if they know anyone I know from the area nad usually they do! It's so nuts to me. I dind't see Elder Doughty until my second day here, but I've seen him probably 10 times a day. The joy is so great when we see each other. I just feel so happy to see my brother! Seeing Elder Case every day is pretty mucht the same experience. He's just such and amazing man and he's come really far with the language. Elder Ruelas and I talk at prettymuch every meal and during class breaks a lot. His class is just down the hall. I see Elder Elmer a ton, and it's so cool!! He's just as funny and just as Elder Elmer as ever. I see Sister Elmer on ocasion, and it's good to see her too! I can't really write everyone I run into because it seriously happens so often. My comps kind of get a little frustrated with me because I'm always talking to people instead of hurrying somewhere. Oh well hahaha.
 
I'll try to send some pics soon, I don't really know how to do that right now. Mom, can you send me Grandma's address so I can write to yall? I don't remember it exactly. Dad, I love you! Thanks so much for all the help up til wednesday, a lot of the lessons and lectures about missionary work have really helped. Braden, thanks for your example and trying to help me get here! Siovhan and Miki, stay beautiful! Can't wait to see yall in two years!!!!
 
I hope all is well, and that you guys keep praying for me. I need those prayers desperately. The Church is true, the Gospel is good, and the rewards for our efforts are going to be so, so sweet.
 
 
Love,
Elder B
 

No comments:

Post a Comment